Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Spreading the Christmas Joy

   It's that wonderful time of year again......Christmas time. The time of year that we should be reminded of the biggest example of giving and sacrifice ever modeled. It's a spirit we often forget in the rush and tumble of the latest toys on " Santa's list." Instead it becomes the spirit of I want things my way......the perfect dinner, the perfect presents, the perfect memories, pictures with pefect little kids dressed in perfect little clothes. 
   I am so guilty of all of the above. I wait until the last minute to get things done, then scurry around screaming at my kids when they don't get in the car fast enough and do silly childish things. I get annoyed when my kids act goofy while I'm trying to get Christmas pictures. I try to do too many things in one day and get annoyed with all of lifes(and kids) little interruptions. 
   This year I am trying to do things differently. It doesn't mean I am going to succeed. I am sure there will be gross failures along the way. I just want Christmas to be different this year. I want my kids to have good sweet memories of Christmas, not memories of a harried mom scurrying everywhere and being impatient. Here are a few things I am doing this year.
   First, on Pinterest I found a link to a website with ways to bless other people. The ideas are printable. I printed and laminated them and put them in a jar. I spent some time talking to my kids about giving to others and how that was truly the point of Christmas. There are a wide variety of ideas, but the one my kids are wanting to start with is going to the dollar store and leaving some dollar bills on a toy with a note saying Merry Christmas. 
     I truly started worrying about this when I noticed my kids asking people what they had gotten them for Christmas. I know that is an exciting part of Christmas for kids, but I don't want them to focus on that. I really want them to be able to enjoy the spirit of giving. We don't have a lot of extra cash floating around so our ideas will be simple and small. I am looking forward to buying a bunch of flowers and handing them out to older ladies walking out of the grocery store......such a simple small thing to do.
    I am going to focus on trying to not let others stress me out. I'll do what I can do and not worry about the rest. I want things to be perfect and organized just like anyone else, but I have to know my limits too. If my kids are making goofy faces in our pictures someday that will be a sweet memory. At least I will know they are having fun. I'm not going to get worked up when they are helping me bake cookies and it takes twice as long because in a few years they won't want to help.  
He is the king of goofy faces, but that is my Bodie.
    This year for Christmas I just want to have fun! I don't know how well this will work, but that is my goal this year. It's not all about us this year, but about having fun, sharing, making lasting memories, and being an example of giving.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment